STARS Club Field Trip a Success

The Bel Air High School STARS Club took a field trip to the TUNE Center at Harford Community College on Monday, October 24.

Ethan Dean, Staff Writer

The Bel Air High School STARS Club took a field trip to the TUNE Center at Harford Community College on Monday, October 24, to promote drug, bullying, and substance prevention techniques that can be brought back to Bel Air. 

The STARS Club, also known as Students Taking a Responsible Stand, is run by Mrs. Chris McDonough. The club is aiming to tackle issues facing high school students such as drugs, alcohol, bullying, and mental health. Through this, they hope to provide techniques for prevention to make it a safer and happier school environment here in Bel Air. 

The field trip was located at the TUNE Center (Towson University in Northeastern Maryland) in Harford Community College and occurred on Monday, October 24. The meeting was titled SPARK, standing for Students Planning, Activating, Reflecting, and Kickstarting. Students were there from 9:20 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., gaining new knowledge about prevention and positivity. There were multiple presenters and Harford County Executive, Barry Glassman, even made an appearance during opening remarks.

Students for STARS, from left: Jenna Welsh, Justin Davis, Natalia Battle and Claire Bowden.
(Christine McDonough)

Mrs. Chris McDonough is optimistic after the field trip, and feels it was a beneficial experience for everyone involved. “The SPARK Meeting for STARS Club was very informative and the students that attended came away with some great ideas to try and implement here at BAHS.  We are looking forward to working with Mr. Deleva to try and make some of their ideas a reality!”  

STARS Club is very thankful for the opportunity that the Office of Drug Control Policy and TUNE presented them with and are ready to utilize this new information to better our school environment!