Seniors Look Back & Advise New Bobcats

Alondra Martinez, Staff Writer

As graduation approaches for the BAHS Class of 2023, it’s time we turn to the graduates and ask a few of them some advice they’d give to underclassmen and incoming Bobcats. 

Our seniors consist of Andrew Kranefeld, who plans on attending East Carolina University and majoring in Biology. Andrew is part of the Biomedical Program at BAHS and has a part-time job at Target. Our other senior is Brayden Lusby, who plans on attending Lincoln Tech and focusing on Automotive Technology. Brayden works part-time at Kohl’s. Let’s hear what our Bobcats have to say!

What advice would you give underclassmen regarding balancing academics and extracurriculars?

Andrew: “Make sure not to overextend yourself. Give yourself enough time to enjoy other activities that aren’t your responsibilities.” 

Brayden: “Staying organized matters more than you might think, especially if you’re balancing school and work.”

How can underclassmen make the most out of their high school experience?

Andrew: “Make sure to go to as many events as possible, whether that’s in-school or with your classmates out of school.” 

Brayden: “Do everything that I didn’t do. I’d say go to Friday Night football games and attend class activities like class field trips or fundraisers, and more schoolwide events like homecoming.”

What do you wish you had known as a freshman that you know now as a senior?

Andrew: “I wish I knew that I didn’t have to take school as seriously as I did. I focused too much on school at times when I could have been doing other stuff that would have made me happy as well.” 

Brayden: “That teachers aren’t as intimidating as you think they might be.”

What are some important life skills underclassmen should focus on developing?

Andrew: “Social skills are important. Like Brayden said, being able to be social will not only allow you to have more fun with the people around you but it will also allow you more opportunities in life.” 

Brayden: “Good social skills, being able to hold a conversation and maintaining eye contact. The confidence to speak up in any situation is really important.”

If you had to give one final piece of advice, what would it be?

Andrew: “Try not to get too stressed out and don’t let school control your whole mentality.” 

Brayden: “Don’t be the type of kid to run in the hallways in between classes. In all seriousness, ask for help and guidance if you need it, not just on the first day but any day.” 

Congratulations to the BAHS Class of 2023! All of us at BAHS know that you will go on to accomplish amazing things.