Sports for Life Bocce Ball Tournament

Meghan Thompson, Copy Editor

On Oct. 21, 2015, Bel Air High School hosted the annual Sports for Life Bocce Ball Tournament inside BAHS’ very own Bobcat Stadium.

Sports for Life is a Harford County organization that provides a friendly, competitive environment to kids with and without disabilities. Students unite together to compete and exercise while sharpening skills of teamwork, sportsmanship, and leadership. Sports for Life began at C. Milton Wright in 1999 as a single basketball team. The organization has now progressed into a three-season league: fall bocce ball, winter bowling, and spring basketball.

The Bel Air bocce team consisted of: Tara Fewster, Victoria Van Beek, Briana Merritt, Jake Smith, Clementine Rogers, Abbey Collins, Phillip Loftus, Bingham Taddeo, Meghan Alevato, and coaches – Deane Clark and Hannah Workman.  Bel Air students practiced hard every single day after school for ten days, working on their skills in preparation for the big tournament. On game day, Bel Air did an excellent job showing off the skills they had learned.

“I loved seeing all of my friends. It was exciting to win and hear people cheer for us,” said Bel Air team member, Abbey Collins.

Also participating in the fifth annual bocce ball tournament were students from schools all over the county including Aberdeen, C. Milton Wright, Edgewood, Fallston, Future Link, Havre De Grace, John Archer, Harford Tech, Joppatowne, North Harford, and Patterson Mill. The tournament consisted of six rounds, lasting from 3 to 4:15 P.M.

“Our team had a blast! They liked seeing friends from different schools and meeting new people. They also like having their parents come and watch them during the tournament,” said Deane Clark, special education teacher and bocce ball coach at Bel Air High School.

Thanks to the dedicated HCPS employees and the working staff at Bel Air High School, the fifth Annual Bocce Ball Tournament was a huge success. Sports For Life looks forward to seeing all the bocce ball participants next fall.