Bel Air Places Third in Iron Horse Duels Wrestling Tournament

Taylor Patrick, Sports Editor

On the weekend of Jan. 8 and 9, 2016, the Bel Air Wrestling team competed in the Iron Horse Duals tournament at C. Milton Wright. Twelve teams participated in the tournament, and Bel Air placed third. The Bobcats now hold a record of 21-2.

Senior captain Dakota Crawford, Junior Tommy Gomez and Freshman Brent Lorin remained undefeated throughout the tournament, winning all seven of their matches. Gomez and Freshman Jack Brink each had a 30-second pin against Liberty, Lorin had a 22-second pin against Leonardtown, and Junior Sam Queen had a 20-second pin against Liberty.

Following the tournament, Crawford said, “Our hard work in practice paid off. For the first time in seven years we beat John Carroll. I’m really proud of these boys and what we have accomplished so far. Now we know where we are as a team.”

Coach Reddish said post-match, “I was very pleased with how the team wrestled.  The Iron Horse Duals is a very hard tournament with several state ranked teams.  We beat the highly ranked John Carroll and Stephen Decatur to win our pool.  We lost 2 matches in the championship rounds, South Carroll, the 2X defending 1A/2A state champs, and Leonardtown, who went on to win the tournament.  We lost to them, 39-36.”

The ‘Cats have their next match on Wednesday, Jan. 13 at Patterson Mill. Come watch your Bobcats hit the mat!