English Electives? Middle Schoolers Workshop a Success

BAHS students traveled to BAMS to discuss English elective options for next year.

Kelly Blackburn

BAMS students workshopped a Journalism activity last week. There were about 60 students in attendance.

Kaylee Alderson, Staff Writer

With course schedules starting to be talked about, the next school year is starting to get real!

Some students have no idea where to start with their schedules, especially when it comes to pathways or electives. The BAHS English department took initiative to visit the soon-to-be Bobcats at Bel Air Middle School and spoke to them about English electives, which include Journalism, Creative Writing and Yearbook.

The 2023 Reverie Staff posed after the workshop last week at BAMS. (Kelly Blackburn)

The field trips consisted of two days on January 24 and 25, and commenced with a workshop for interested middle schoolers the following week on January 31. Not only did the Journalism and Reverie students have a great time, but also so did the middle schoolers.

Aubrey Klarman, a junior at BAHS and Reverie member, felt the field trip was effective. “I’m really glad we were able to go over to BAMS and talk about English electives because I feel like a lot of students don’t know what opportunities we have here at the high school. We have a lot of really fun English related electives and tons of students showed interest after our presentations. I’m interested to see how many incoming freshmen take [additional] English courses!”

By the sound of it, it seems the field trip was a great success and the future of English electives will continue to flourish. We here at the Bellarion are hopeful some of the incoming freshmen are taking interest in the program as well as all the other electives. New members are always exciting, especially when revamping of programs are taking place!