Once a Bobcat, Always a Bobcat: The Class of 2015 Says Goodbye

Meghan Thompson, News Editor

On June 3rd, 2015, Bel Air High School said goodbye to the class of 2015 as they accepted their diplomas and bid high school farewell during their commencement ceremony at Harford Community College.

For the first time ever, BAHS Graduation was held at the college arena in order to accommodate the large number of guests who attended to see their seniors cross the stage. The switch proved to be extremely necessary, considering every seat in the house was full. The move also eliminated the need for guests to watch a live feed of graduation in the auditorium, a custom for years past.

Once everyone settled in their seat and silenced their cell phones, the ceremony began. The seniors proceeded down the aisle under the beautiful rose arches, provided by the class of 2016, who held their arches high, high fiving their graduating friends, and patiently awaiting their turn to put on the cap and gown next year. Once all the students were seated, Mr. Komondor introduced the panel of guests and a handful of speakers who took turns addressing the class of 2015. Speakers included: James McMahan Jr, representative of the Harford County Council, Barry Glassman, Harford County Executive, and Alison Krchnavy, a member of the Board of Education and mother of graduating senior, M.J Krchnavy.

The two winners of the speech contest, Natalie Philips and Damali Egyen Davis were next to speak.

“We have transformed from wide eyed freshman to confident seniors. We have met people that have taught us the importance of kindness, friendship, and group chats. No matters what we choose to do after this ceremony, we are undivided and equal, and in the same boat. Literally, because we are going on the graduation cruise later tonight,” said Damali Egyen Davis, as her final word to her classmates.

Natalie Phillips shared a valuable piece of advice to her fellow graduates, describing: “We’ll all have highs in lows in the years to come, and peaks and valleys every day. But we wouldn’t be the people we are today without these ups and downs. Take every peak as a blessing, and every valley as a lesson.”

Mr. Komondor proudly introduced the valedictorian of the Class of 2015, Sarah Ermatinger, and Salutatorian, Damali Egyen Davis.

Andrew Visconti, president of the senior class, spoke last. “High school has brought me to one conclusion: if you want something, do it,” the president spoke, a piece of advice he’d taken seriously as he will be attending West Point Military Academy with fellow Bobcat, Ethan Brito, in the fall. Visconti continued to present the class gift, an announcement that earned a loud applause from students in the audience. Bel Air High School will be receiving two new water bottle fillers like the ones on the second floor, A wing, and first floor outside of the gym, as a gift from the class of 2015.

The moment had finally arrived, and each senior walked proudly up the stairs onto stage, shaking hands and accepting their diplomas. Once each graduate was graduated, Mr. Komondor ended the ceremony, teary eyed and proud. “It is truly an honor to be the principal of Bel Air High School.”

The Bel Air High School Alumni flipped their tassels from left to right, and tossed their caps proudly into the air. Congratulations graduates, the Bel Air Bobcats wish you good luck in your bright, prosperous futures, and remind you to visit! Goodbye, Class of 2015.