Bel Air Receives MAEOE Bronze Green School Certification

Snell poses with BAHS’s award.

Tyler Kirk, Staff Writer

On Thursday May 18th,  Bel Air High School received the Maryland Association for Environmental and Outdoor Education’s (MAEOE) Green School bronze certification. Teachers Ms. Kristen Snell and Ms. Janis Kozak went to the awards ceremony at Sandy Point State Park in ​Anne Arundel County​ and accepted the award on behalf of Bel Air High School. Students Alicia Nguyen, Sky Cross, Kaylin Stufft, and Tyler Kirk attended the ceremony as well.  

Snell and her environmental students attended to receive the special award.

Bel Air High School one of only five high schools in Maryland have obtained the award, and the only school in Harford County to do so. To receive the bronze status, schools must reapply for at least four application cycles, each cycle is four years. You also must have already reached sustainability level which BAHS did in 2013.  

Snell stated, “We, as a school, must continue in our green journey towards sustainability with cross curricular teaching of env. concepts, (energy) conservation, waste (management), (environmental) professional development, continued partnership with (environmental) organizations, and continued progression of our top 5 (environmental) goals for the school.” 

Students can help the school in its environmental endeavors by taking classes such as AP Environmental Science and Earth and Environmental Science. The school also offers clubs such as Youth Earth Savers and Envirothon. The students at Bel Air High School thank and recognize  Snell for all her hard work to make and ensure Bel Air High School is recognized as the environmental steward it is.