BAHS Student Named Chairperson of We Cancerve

Freshman Zachary Gwiazda is the new chairperson of the We Cancerve Movement, Inc. after Grace Callwood stepped down.

Zachary Gwiazda was named chairperson of the We Cancerve Movement, Inc. in Spring of 2023.

Katherine Efeyini, Staff Writer

We Cancerve is a movement that brings swift solutions to children who are homeless, in foster care, or in orphanages. They have already successfully served over 26,000 children in multiple counties in Maryland, Delaware, and Africa. This organization was originally run by Grace Callwood, who stepped down as the chair of this movement due to them graduating from Edgewood Highschool’s Global Studies International Baccalaureate program.  

The new leader, Zachary Gwiazda, was named the new chairperson of We Cancerve this spring. We asked him questions about his plans and how he wants to lead this group. 

Interviewer: So, I heard you became the new chairperson of this program. Can you tell me what it’s about? 

Gwiazda: It’s We Cancerve and We Cancerve brings swift solutions to children who are homeless, in foster care, in orphanages, and who are sick. 

Interviewer: Being this Chairperson, it comes with a lot of responsibilities, right? 

Gwiazda: Yes. 

Interviewer: How do you feel about all this coming onto you? Is it kind of pressuring?  

Gwiazda: There can be some pressure to start with but I’m confident that I will be able to figure everything out and just make sure everything works out. 

Interviewer: How long have you been [involved] in this program? 

Gwiazda: I started helping out by volunteering a year ago, February 2022. I went to their monthly “Brunch Bag” packing and the Abingdon Library, and I just kept coming back. Eventually they were like “Hey, you are a dedicated member. We’d like you to take over this position.” 

Interviewer: What made you keep coming back? 

Gwiazda: I just wanted to help kids that needed it. It was kids in our community that were hungry and food insecure and I wanted to make sure that they had food. So, I wanted to help pack these bags so that they could get the food they needed. 

Interviewer: What are your plans moving forward? 

Gwiazda: So, we do have a lot of plans moving forward. I’m not going to talk too much about them, but we have a lot of exciting things coming up in the future…that’s what I can say. 

Interviewer: What do you hope to accomplish? 

Gwiazda: I hope to improve my leadership skills for one, that’s one of my main things cause I helped pick a board of advisers for We Cancerve and I’m really excited to learn how to lead a group and help make sure I continue what We Cancerve started a decade ago and teach youth what we’re all about.  

Gwiazda shows that he’s a promising leader to continue this movement and he is ready to make a difference in his community and in other communities.

Gwiazda begins his one-year, renewable term in June 2023.