Mindful Techniques to Beat Spring Burnout

Are you feeling the burnout this time of year?

Maya Cavolo, Staff Writer

When it comes to motivations for students to get work done, there are a variety of factors at play. Educators and students alike experience burnout from the demands of school life, which leads to decreased motivation, frustration, and disengagement with their tasks. Mindful techniques can help you regain a sense of balance and manage stress in a healthy and sustainable way. 

1. Listening to music

When it comes to studying, music can be a powerful tool for students. Not only does it provide a pleasant background noise, but studies have shown that certain types of music can improve focus and productivity. Classical music, ambient sounds, and instrumental tracks are all great options as they lack distracting lyrics. Additionally, listening to familiar songs can reduce anxiety and promote relaxation. It’s important to note that different genres may work better for different tasks – if you’re trying to read or write an essay, fast-paced music like hip hop might be too stimulating whereas slower tunes may be more calming. Overall, incorporating music into your study routine can boost your energy levels while reducing stress and keeping you motivated throughout long study sessions! 

2. Setting Realistic Grade Goals and Working to Meet Them  

Getting good grades is the ultimate goal for many students. It’s a testament to their hard work, dedication, and commitment to their studies. Receiving good marks not only reinforces a student’s confidence but also rewards them with an instant sense of achievement. It motivates them to keep pushing themselves harder, stay focused, and continue striving for excellence. Good grades also contribute towards better opportunities in the future – from college admissions to job prospects. So when students receive good grades, it not only improves their academic standing but also increases their overall well-being by reducing stress and anxiety related to academic performance. Getting top grades serves as a positive reinforcement that encourages students to continue succeeding in different aspects of life, motivating them to keep working hard towards achieving their goals. 

3. Receiving Positive & Constructive Feedback from Others 

Students tend to feel more validated and motivated to do better work after getting praised for their efforts. Positive feedback can be a powerful motivator for students. When students receive praise for their efforts and achievements, they feel recognized and valued, which can boost their confidence and self-esteem. This positive reinforcement can also reinforce the importance of hard work and dedication, encouraging students to continue striving for success. Positive feedback can help create a safe and supportive learning environment where students feel comfortable taking risks and making mistakes, knowing that they will only be met with encouragement and support. By recognizing and celebrating student successes, educators can foster a culture of achievement in their classrooms, motivating all students to reach their full potential. Positive feedback helps students feel proud of themselves and their accomplishments, inspiring them to set ambitious goals and work towards achieving them. 

4. Taking Breaks  

Taking breaks while studying or doing homework provides many benefits. Regular pauses during study sessions can help improve focus, retain information better, prevent burnout and fatigue, and reduce stress levels. When you take a break after working for a certain amount of time, your brain gets the opportunity to shift its focus from the material it has just been processing and refresh itself with something else for a brief period. This could be anything from taking a walk outside to chatting with friends or indulging in some form of relaxation activity. Allowing yourself time to decompress will give you more energy to return to studies with renewed enthusiasm and motivation.  

5. Fall Semester Activities 

HCPS schools and extracurricular programs happen to have strict GPA requirements to participate in certain events or activities. If your grades aren’t up to par for 4th quarter, you may be “benched” from participating in fall extracurricular activities for the following school year.  If you feel you are on the verge of failing, it’s important to focus and to reassess your study habits so you can participate in said activities.  This is a good motivator to keep on going!

Ultimately, each student’s motivation is unique and may vary depending on the task at hand or their current mindset. However, finding ways to tap into both internal and external motivators can help students stay focused and achieve their goals with greater ease.