Is Disney Channel Past its Prime?

Is Disney Channel Past its Prime?

Julia Beyers, Staff Writer

Growing up, almost everyone loved Disney Channel. When our TV was on, we were watching Disney. Of course, we remember the classics, like, High School Musical, Wizards of Waverly Place, Lizzie McGuire, The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Hannah Montana, Good Luck Charlie, Shake it Up, Lab Rats, Phineas and Ferb, Jessie, Liv & Maddie, Girl Meets World, etc. Are you feeling nostalgic yet? Well, you will soon. 

Now that we’re all teenagers we don’t watch Disney Channel in our free time like we used to. Sometimes you’ll have the feeling to, and you’ll go to Disney+ and pull up what used to be your favorite show and you binge it for hours. I mean who doesn’t love 20-minute episodes? The memories just flow back so fast, and you remember why you loved it. Who didn’t want the best of both worlds? We wanted to start vlogging our life like Teddy did for Charlie, living summer vacation to its fullest like Phineas and Ferb, and of course having a wizard family like Alex Russo.  

I asked around in hopes of finding a conclusion if this was true. The answers were just what I had expected, they all agreed with me. The next question I tried to answer was, why? Why did everyone say the prime for Disney passed? Was it the cheesy plots that worked just so well, the characters, the relationships? Come on, who’s first celebrity crush wasn’t Zac Efron? Maybe we wanted to have their life. Miley Stewart got to be Hannah Montana, Alex Russo got to be a wizard, Phineas and Ferb made the coolest inventions, Zack and Cody got to live in a hotel suite all the time, Riley and Maya had the best friendship, Leo’s three best friends were all bionic teenagers who lived in a secret lab, CeCe and Rocky got to live their dream and dance as back up dancers on a TV show, the list just keeps going!  

I’ve come to the conclusion that the reason we loved Disney Channel when we were kids was because their life was just so perfect. They had the coolest clothes, the biggest room, best friends, and to us, the best life. Now, the shows just don’t have the same excitement. What happened to the big secrets they all had? Think back to how much you loved those shows when you were little, does anything beat that?