Pond Removed from BAHS Courtyard

The beloved courtyard pond that many students and staff have recognized as a favorite feature of the school has been demolished before the 2022 Homecoming Season.

Tyler Kirk

Mr. Ed Naus, Mr. Jennifer Kukula and others rehomed goldfish from the pond before its removal.

Tyler Kirk, Staff Writer

The beloved courtyard pond that many students and staff have recognized as a favorite feature of the school has been demolished before the 2022 Homecoming Season. Since the school was built in 2009, the pond was home to over 20 goldfish as well as being packed with various native and invasive plant species.  

On Tuesday, September 13th, former media specialist for Bel Air High School Mrs. Jennifer Kukula waded through the pond to collect fish. Mr. Christopher Serokos and Mr. Michael Von Volen, teachers at the school, waded in in order to capture the many goldfish and rehome them in one of Kukula’s three outdoor ponds (pictured).  Even though over two hours of time was spent attempting to capture the fish, the water had too much mud stirred up to spot any remaining. 

The student body at Bel Air High still seems vastly undisturbed about the ponds destruction. When asked how they felt about the change in the courtyard, a few students admitted, “Honestly nobody goes out there…” Another student noted, “ [it] would have been better nice to expand the pond rather than destroy it.”

When questioned about why the pond was being removed, students admitted “I definitely don’t [know]!  I didn’t even know that was happening.” This was the general consensus from most of the students; sadly, a surprisingly high number were unaware that BAHS had a pond in the courtyard. 

Mr. Jason Redmond, assistant principal of Bel Air High School, responded when questioned about what the future holds for any leftover freshwater friends: “…it’s first come first serve.”  

The real concern was due to continual issues with the pond’s operations. Redmond explained, “There is an issue with the pond leaking into the building that cannot be repaired.  Water damage in the surrounding hallways is becoming too expensive to repair.” Various attempts to fix and control the flooding have been made and have failed over the last several weeks.  There are several issues from when the school was built that are the main cause; unfortunately, this is currently the most cost-effective way to fix the issue. 

Currently, there is a plan in place to fill in the pond. Redmond added, “Once removed, the area will be covered with rock similar to the opposite side of the courtyard.  Some tables and chairs will be placed there eventually as well.”  

Much of the aquatic vegetation was cut back in the process of removing the fish. Three of the most populous plants were pickerelweed, water lilies, and another (assumed invasive) shoot-like plant. Massive rhizomes (pictured) were uprooted and much of the root systems were removed. On Tuesday, September 27, a crew continued the process of removing the reservoir (pictured).

Whether you knew the pond existed or not, it will surely be missed by the students of BAHS and remembered by the fish who used to call the courtyard home.