2019 Field Hockey Season preview

Ellie Sunday, Sports Writer

As the 2019 school year returns, so do our Lady Bobcat field hockey players after ending last season with a record of 11 wins and 4 losses.

The team has lost 9 seniors since last season, but they backe it up as 11 players returned for a new season. The seniors this year include Peyton Hale, Maddie Conroy, Ali Chmielewski, Kelsie Gillis, Sofia Garcia, Lauren Taylor, Sloane Petterson. The juniors consist of Emma Sanza, Ellie Sunday, Kate Ausmas, and goalkeeper Abby Bannan. Seven other ladies made the varsity team.

As of September 9, the field hockey team, lost their first game to John Carroll with a score of 1-3 on Friday the 6. The team took on two teams in a tournament on Saturday the 7, winning both games. The first game was against Towson High School with a score of 3-0. Goals made by Senior, Peyton Hale, Sophomore, Alexa Mangual, and Ali Chmielewski. However, the team picked themselves up as they were able to beat Centennial High School with a score of 3-0. All 3 goals scored by Senior, Peyton Hale. 

“At Saturday’s tournament we came together. The team worked on communication, passing and opening space. Playing together as a team and not as individuals”, according to head coach Amy Chmielewski.

Leading up to this season, the team was on their turf at 5:30 am for practice, working hard for the new upcoming season. The Lady Cats take on Liberty High School September 9, for their first home game of the season. 

“ The team this year has so much potential and we have already showed it in our first three games this season. I am so proud of everyone’s hard work so far and can’t wait for our success to come”, exclaimed captain Maddie Conroy. 

This season for our girl’s field hockey team will be filled with hard work and determination to improve last year’s record, as well as to move as far as possible into postseason.