Girls’ Lacrosse Playoffs

Taylor Patrick, Sports Editor

On Friday, May 13, 2016, the Bel Air Girls’ Lacrosse Team played in the second round of playoffs (the team had a BYE first round) against Parkville High School. The ‘Cats played a hard game and won 22-0.

The Bobcat offense was led by Junior Anna Farley with four goals. Junior Lexi Strobel followed Farley, scoring three goals. Senior Emily McQuay, Sophomore Lauren Asher, Sophomore Julia Henry, Sophomore Jenna Signorelli and Freshman Bailey Springer scored two goals each. Senior Captain Anna Wehland, Junior Kami Holt, Sophomore Caroline Fallace, Freshman Katie McGrain and Freshman Grace Wehland all scored one goal.

After this win, the team advanced to the Regional Semi-Finals against Dulaney High School. The game took place at Honeygo Park in Perry Hall on Monday, May 16, 2016. Unfortunately, the Bobcats could not win this one, and lost with a score of 8-12.

The first half started with two very quick goals from Farley and Asher. With the ‘Cats up 2-0, the Lions retaliated, scoring four goals and earning a two goal lead. Then, McGrain scored a goal for the Bobcats, making the score 3-4 Dulaney. Before the end of the half, Dulaney was able to score three more goals. The score at halftime was 3-7 Dulaney.

The ‘Cats knew they needed to come out hard in order to catch up to Dulaney’s lead. However, Bel Air lost the first draw, on account of a false start penalty, allowing Dulaney to get the ball. The Lions capitalized off of this, and scored the first goal of the half, making the score 3-8. Farley had the next goal of the half, making the score 4-8. Dulaney scored a quick goal off of a draw control, making the score 4-9. The game slowed down after this goal. The Lions tried to slow down their offense and spread out, but the ‘Cats’ defense would not give them the space they wanted. The remainder of the game was a series of long possessions, many missed shots and both defenses caused many turnovers. Senior Captain Bekah Riley scored two goals along with one goal each from Henry and G. Wehland. The final score was 8-12 Dulaney.

Following the game, Coach Barry gave a speech to the team. In that speech she said, “Sometimes good teams play good teams, and someone has to lose. It sucks that it was us, but you all should be very proud of the season you had.”

Overall, the Bel Air Girls’ Lacrosse team had a really great season. They finished second in the UCBAC division and made it to the Regional Semi-Finals. They developed team chemistry and made immense progress by working hard at every practice, even if it meant waking up before 7 A.M. on a Saturday. Good work Bobcats, see you next season.