Dakota Crawford Wins for the 100th Time

Taylor Patrick, Sports Editor

On Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2016, the Bel Air Wrestling team traveled to Glenelg High School to compete in an opening match against Old Mill, following with regional finals against Glenelg. The Bobcats beat Old Mill 31-29, but lost to Glenelg 36-33.

The opening match against Old Mill may have been the most exciting match of the ‘Cats’ season. When the match came to the last weight class of the night, Bel Air was losing 28-29. Senior Captain Dakota Crawford moved up a weight class, 220 to 285, in order to compete.

Coach Reddish said, “It was a winner take all match of two ranked wrestlers, and Dakota was giving up 50 pounds to his opponent.”

Crawford came through and won the match for his team, despite the 50-pound disadvantage. This win not only won the match, but also was Crawford’s 100th win.

Coach Reddish said, “I am very proud of Dakota for all of his hard work and leadership over the years.  He becomes the 12th wrestler in Bel Air High School history to accomplish this milestone.  What is truly amazing is he only started wresting in high school and has an over all record of 101-29.”

Crawford said, “It truly feels great to finally get something that only a few have. I would like to thank Coach Reddish and Coach Michaels for pushing me hard in practice and pushing me to become a better wrestler. Winning like that will always be memorable, especially in such a close team match. I will remember that moment for the rest of my life.”

Unfortunately, the Bobcats were not able to win the regional finals against Glenelg, falling just 4 points shy of victory. The wrestlers that had strong showing were as follows:

Freshman Jack Brink 2-0

Freshman Brent Lorin 2-0

Sophomore Zach Alascio 1-1

Sophomore Liam Bowers 1-1

Junior Tommy Gomez 2-0

Junior Scott Miser 2-0

Junior Sam Queen 1-1

Senior Captain Dakota Crawford 2-0

Senior Captain Trevor Proctor 1-1

The Bobcats have had a strong year with a 27-3 record on the season. The team will next compete in the post season tournament as they fight for their 3rd straight UCBAC tournament and 6th of the last 9 years. Be sure to come out and support your Bobcats!