Students and Staff Reflect on Mental Health Week

This week, a table in the cafeteria offered mental health stress-reducing opportunities for students.

Ollie McEwen, Staff Writer

Mental Health Week is an annual observance that aims to raise awareness about mental health and reduce the stigma surrounding mental health concerns. The week provides an opportunity to promote positive mental health practices, connect individuals with mental health resources, and provide support for those affected by mental health issues. In this article, we will explore the importance of Mental Health Week and the ways in which it can benefit individuals, families, communities, and society as a whole. From understanding the scope of Mental Health Week to reflecting on its impact, we will examine how this observance can help address challenges in mental health care and promote positive change.

Mental health is a critical aspect of overall well-being, yet it is often overlooked and stigmatized. Mental Health Week is crucial as it provides an opportunity to start meaningful conversations about mental health, reduce stigma and discrimination, and encourage people to seek help and support when needed.

Stigma and discrimination surrounding mental health issues can prevent individuals from seeking help and support when they need it most. It can also lead to feelings of shame, isolation, and hopelessness, which can worsen mental health problems.

Finding and accessing mental health resources can be a daunting task. However, during Mental Health Week, many organizations and communities host events and provide resources that can help individuals find and access the support they need. At Bel Air High School, volunteers set up a desk out front of the cafeteria offering students stress reliever activities and free items to promote mental health week, items include stress balls, pens, coloring pages, and crosswords.  

Ms. Lori Hackett, school counselor, shared why she thinks mental health week is so important. “Mental health is important because people don’t realize it affects their whole way of life, like if you’re having a bad day your mental health can decline. The purpose of mental health week is to bring awareness. People aren’t always sure how to express themselves.” 

If you yourself are struggling with mental health, don’t be afraid to tell someone you trust. Hotlines are available if you are in need, be sure to contact one if you feel you are feel like you need someone to reach out to.