Art Comes Alive through D.C. Field Trip

Brandon Hall, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, April 13th, my Advanced Painting class took a field to Washington D.C., to go visit the art museums. I unfortunately was unable to attend, but I thankfully got to interview someone that got the opportunity to go.

Kaylee and her friend had a blast on the field trip last week, organized by art teacher Ms. Kathryn Humphrey.

Kaylee Lukas, a sophomore at Bel Air High School, said that the field trip was really fun. Shereported that the bus ride was really fun, but the weather was extremely hot. Kaylee said that as soon as she arrived at the museum, the entire group took a picture in front of the Lincoln Memorial. That morning went relatively smooth for them; she said that all participants had to be at school by 6:15, because the bus was scheduled to leave at 6:30.

Kaylee was mostly excited to see all of the art pieces and spent the day with Scarlett and her friends. There was quite a lot of walking, and she spent most of her time at the National Gallery. She even told me that she was lucky enough to visit the WWII Memorial and the gift shops included!

While at the gift shop, she picked up a Greek mythology book and explained that the entire group got gelato before heading back to school. According to Kaylee, the bus left the museum at 3, and arrived back at school around 5:15.

Mountains of Collioure, by Andre Derain. Photo by Tara Shanley.

I asked her what her overall experience was visiting the museums in Washington D.C., and she said that absolutely loved it and would be more than happy to revisit again because she had a good time, and wasn’t able to see everything the museum had to offer before she had to leave. Kaylee finished by telling me that going to Washington D.C. to see these art pieces was certainly a trip to remember. 

Photos courtesy of Kaylee Lukas.