Bel Air Students Embark on Educational Journey to Lincoln University

Makaila Guerrier, Staff Writer

On Friday March 24, 2023, BAHS students took a field trip to the HBCU Lincoln University in Pennsylvania. The trip was organized by school counselor, Ms. Lori Hackett. The trip was for a small group of juniors and sophomores to introduce them to the HBCU campus. 

The HBCU,or Historically Black Colleges or Universities, were founded during segregation in the United States to give black students access to higher education where they were denied rights previously.  

The tour was led by Marcus Quattlevum, a student in his junior year who majors in mass communications, where he explained the history of the 500 acre University. It was the first HBCU to be created in 1854 which makes it a historical plot. No one can destroy or buy the plot, or they will face felony charges.  

The students were able to see historic buildings and items, including all of Langston Hughes books that he’d read himself, and his teddy bear, in their library. Along with historical meanings behind the campus, Quattlevum explained some superstitions and rules the students must follow. One rule is that no one can touch the Frederick Douglas statue, who they affectionately call “Freddy D,” or else something bad with happen. Another superstition at the Greek plot fraternities is that no one can step on the grass unless you belong to one of the fraternities or sororities there, “…or there will be consequences,” as Qauttlevum reveals.  

Some students on the trip were athletes and wanted to know how the sports were.  Qauttlevum tells them that the basketball games are great! The game against Cheyney University (their rivals), is something you do not want to miss.  

At the end of the trip, students were able to eat in their gorgeous cafeteria and have a glimpse of what college lunch looks like. According to some students at the university, the lunch was alright, but according to Makaila Guerrier, a student on the trip, “it was way better than the lunch served at school.” 

As the trip concludes, Marcus Qauttlevum takes pride in his school and feels “it’s perfect, no place I rather be but Lincoln.” He explains that the school is a place of second chances. Academic advisors are compassionate and will guide you to what makes you successful.  Qauttlevum boasts about the first-year advisor, Dean Berry, who he says is extremely generous. Overall, he’s enjoying his time at the university and hopes that our students at that school add it to their potential lists of schools.