Good Grief! BADC Takes on a Spring Musical

The Bel Air Drama Company is hosting auditions for their spring musical “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” on February 8th. 

The+BADC+will+put+on+the+show+this+April.+

The BADC will put on the show this April.

Aubrey Klarman, Staff Writer

The BADC has been part of Bel Air High School for nearly 40 years, putting on prestigious productions for our school and community to enjoy. This past fall, the BADC did the musical “The Wizard of Oz”, which was highly successful and kept people buzzing for more. Now, it’s time for their spring production and they’re bringing the classic Peanuts characters to the stage. 

Clark Gesner and Andrew Lippa’s “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown” follows the iconic characters Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, Sally, Schroeder, and Snoopy through comic book-esque segments where each character has featured moments that portray their own individual story, just like in the shorts seen on TV, movies, and comic books, originally sketched by cartoonist Charles M. Schulz. 

The BADC hosted an interest meeting on January 18 in room G105. During this time, Mr. Nathan Jourdan, director and current drama company members gave details regarding the production and company, while also answering any questions one may have had. In the meeting, Jourdan announced that this show will have two casts, Cast Snoopy and Cast Woodstock. This means that each character, and ensemble member, will be double cast.

Tech applications and audition time slot sheets can be found on the BADC callboard, directly to the left of the black box. You can also find the audition pack on the callboard which provides character descriptions, song suggestions, and monologues. 

The production staff for the show has already been announced on the callboard with junior Dan Morelli returning as stage manager, sophomore Brady King as assistant stage manager, and juniors Hayley Neal and Aubrey Klarman as production assistants. The production staff team consists of 23 students that work on the ins and outs of the production, ensuring that things work smoothly on the technical side.

The set design team consists of junior Mackenzie Cooney as head with sophomore Avery Carroll as her associate, the artistic designer is senior Lily Morelli with freshman Rowen Taylor as her assistant, and house and publicities manager sophomore Keira Coronel is returning with sophomore Jordin Hundt as her assistant.

Props will be handled by sophomore Shae Ward as props chief with freshman Megan McCashland as their assistant. Junior Alex Jackson will be returning as the sound designer with sophomore Nicholas Sullivan and freshman Capri Blankenship as his assistants. Sophomore Jenny Levy will be the lighting designer. 

If you have an interest in joining the BADC for their spring production, check out the BADC callboard for more details on how you can get involved. Also, check out their Instagram @belairdramacompany.

Feel free to talk to Mr. Nathan Jourdan, director if you have any questions ([email protected]). We can’t wait to see the drama company bring the Peanuts characters to life this April!