Pressure to Preform

Brogan Gerhart, News Editor

Growing up. It is the hardest job in the world. With the tremendous impacts of both physical and emotional changes, it can be difficult to adapt to the present, let alone plan for the future. Sometimes it feels like there is so much pressure to know who you want to be, there is little time to paint a clear image of who you are.

During our sophomore year we are told to pick a pathway, and follow it until we graduate.  The pathways are meant to be a guide – a grouping of required credits that are supposed to be associated with our interests and talents. In theory, this is a pretty beneficial concept; if you disregard the fact that people are more so creatures of change than they are of habit. How is one to know what they would like to pursue if they do not have the opportunity to experience a variety of different career options?

“The pathways feel very restrictive to me,” says Ashley Cai, sophomore at BAHS, “it would make me feel a lot better if it were easier to change direction after freshman year and I were able to take more classes that aren’t necessarily a requirement for graduation.”

There is so much pressure put onto planning for the future, knowing who you want to be and how you will get there. There is no time to focus on the present – to branch out, and not only discover, but accept who we are for who we are…not just for who we want to be.

“Between work, school, family, and friends, it can be very stressful preparing for after high school,” says Logan Burnett, junior at BAHS, “especially when everyday on its own can be just as overwhelming as the thoughts for the future.”

These expectations placed on students are not only mentally straining, but physically exhausting as well. Staying up late, to finish homework and study after coming home from your minimum-wage-paying job, only to wake up ridiculously early to finish your assignments, and not even have enough time to eat breakfast on your way out…it is difficult. Students are barely able to keep up with the demands of the present, let alone make up for the uncertainties of the future.

Growing up may be the hardest job in the world, but it doesn’t have to be the least enjoyable. Don’t be afraid to live in the moment. Take the time to appreciate the present and make the most of what you have. Set time aside from figuring out who you want to be but love yourself for who you are now. Your life later? It will be amazing. Your life now? It already is.