Bel Air Eliminated after Historic Postseason Run

Aidan Lake, Sports Editor

On Saturday, May 21, Bel Air Boys’ Lacrosse traveled to Gaithersburg High School to take on the Howard Lions for the 4A/3A state semifinal. The Bobcats fell, 14-4 after a rough outing.

Nevertheless, Bel Air found their stride during the playoffs, after a rather shaky regular season. They made it to the Final Four among Howard, Churchill, and eventual 4A State Champion Severna Park.  The ‘Cats knocked off Perry Hall 14-9, Kenwood 20-0, Dulaney 12-8, and Franklin 15-8.

Over the winning stretch, attackmen Dylan Bielatowicz and Junior Finn Gottschalk led a powerful offensive attack. The two combined for 30 points across all 5 playoff games. Senior Evan Hulse also had a dominant performance at the faceoff X, winning 57 of 76 face-offs.

Bel Air had the ninth toughest regular season schedule according to Lax Power, yet they persevered to a total 12-7 record. They knocked down county rivals Patterson Mill, C. Milton, Harve de Grace, and North Harford which put them in contention for the county championship. However, Fallston edged Bel Air out to win the UCBAC conference, 13-9. Fallston went on to win the 1A/2A State Championship.

Over the season, players made major strides to develop into huge contributors. Last season, Junior Goalie Chris Hagy watched the season from the sidelines and this year, when he earned the starting nod, he became the best goalie in Harford County and one of the best in the state. He earned first team all-UCBAC honors along with 2016 leading scorer Dylan Bielatowicz and star Midfielder Keegan McHugh. The second team all-UCBAC contained 3 more Bobcats: Attackman Chase Oberlin, Midfielder Justin Calabreese, and Defenseman Josh Carlon.

Bel Air Boys’ Lacrosse as 11 graduating seniors this year: Defensemen Jake Kraemer and Tommy Symalla, Attackmen Chase Oberlin, Dylan Bielatowicz, and Austin Weiss, Midfielders Kasey Davenport, John Santimays, Luigi Ascenzi, Justin Calabreese, Jacob Vazquez, and Evan Hulse.

However, Juniors Josh Carlon, Keegan McHugh, Chris Hagy, Finn Gottschalk, Devin Adams, Ben Keesey, and Tom Waibel played major roles in leading the team to their many victories this year and are expected to excel in starting roles for next year’s team. Sophomore Nick Jenkens, along with additional Juniors Matt Creaghan, Brandon Keller, Matt Christakis, Liam Kenney, and Ben Fleagle are all returning next year and are projected to lead the team as starters into a brand new season.

Senior attackman Chase Oberlin, in parting words, stated, “We have a strong junior class that I am sure will make Bobcat Pride mean something and have a great season. I love my boys and wish them the best of luck!”

The Bobcats had experienced a historic 2016 season, and they will remember it for the rest of their lives. They were 1 of only 3 Bel Air teams to ever win a regional championship and reach the Final 4 of the state’s most competitive conference of 4A. Bel Air has the offseason ahead to prepare for the upcoming season, and, certainly have the talent to do so, the ‘Cats hope to take the next step to procure their win at the State Championship in 2017.