BAXC Conquers “The Dip” at Bull Run

Taylor Patrick, Sports Editor

On Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, the Bel Air Cross Country team ran in the Bull Run Invitational at Hereford High School, home of “the dip,” AKA two enormous hills. There were many schools from all around the state competing in the meet. The Bel Air boys placed second overall while the girls placed sixteenth.

Sophomore Kieran McDermott won another first place title with a time of 16:36, 23 seconds ahead of the second place runner. Behind him, was senior Austin Weiss in 16th place with a time of 17:30 and sophomore Ethan Gray with a time of 18:15 in 34th place. The team scored 126 points and placed second, one point behind the first place team, Albert Einstein High School.

McDermott said, “When I saw the dip this year, I was a bit intimidated. But once the race started, I found my pace and killed it. We had a strong performance from the team and were disappointed when we came up just short from winning.”

Senior Morgan Smith led the girls’ team with a time of 22:04 and placed 20th. Shortly following Smith was senior Joy Hayward              with a time of 23:42 in 65th place and junior Maggie Bridges with a time of 24:38 in 91st place.

Senior captain Hailey Snyder said, “I am very proud of everyone who ran today. This is one of the hardest courses on the east coast and just finishing alone is a big accomplishment.”

The team will travel to Bo Manor on Sept. 29 to race against Aberdeen and Joppatowne. Come support your Bobcats!